- Having a well-established board of directors is essential for maximizing the potential of your nonprofit organization.
- It’s important that each board member is educated and trained in nonprofit best practices to operate effectively and strengthen governance.
- Understanding what knowledge your board of directors will need is one of the first steps in building a successful nonprofit board.
The Board of Directors Guide for Nonprofit Leaders
A well-established and educated board of directors is essential for maximizing a nonprofit's potential. These board members can set the organization's tone, help it operate effectively, and strengthen governance with the right training. Managing a board can be challenging but it is crucial to the success of your nonprofit organization.
It's important to consider motivations, legal responsibilities, and education when selecting board members.
We've developed a comprehensive guide for nonprofit leaders that outlines best practices to help nonprofit board of directors succeed. The guide provides actionable insights and expertise to help you navigate:
- Determining ideal members
- Roles and responsibilities
- Protections for board of directors
- Education and training
- Ensuring diversity
- Forming committees
- Financial reporting
- Importance of Form 990
- Strategic planning