This webinar will discuss key developments over the last year in individual and business taxation. Learn about the IRS's current areas of focus in examination and appeals of interest to business owners. It will also briefly discuss the impact of the election on the IRS and potential upcoming tax legislation.
- Discuss the impact of new partnership audit rules in the post-TEFRA era; Opt out or Opt In?;
- Tax Reform challenges and strategies, how is the IRS interpreting the latest strategies?
- Explore the current status of focusing exam resources - new LB&I campaigns update;
- Review the process of an examination and the keys to presenting and protecting your evidence;
- Identify the issues commonly raised by the IRS including reasonable compensation, large losses, material participation, and related party transactions;
- Discuss the IRS Global High Wealth exam team that audits high wealth taxpayers;
- Explore new IRS rules regarding required disclosure of captive insurance; and
- Review IRS issues involving Donor Advised Funds and IP Monetization
Benjamin Peeler, JD, CPA, LL.M, Partner
Ben has more than 16 years of tax experience specializing in federal tax, controversy and procedure. He works with clients in the areas of income tax, estate and gift tax, property tax, sales and use tax, estate planning and other various tax matters. Ben has represented the IRS before the United States Tax Court in large and specially designated tax cases as an attorney for the IRS Office of Chief Counsel, and in litigation before the federal district court as a special assistant to the United States Attorney. Also, he has led and instructed groups of attorneys, revenue agents and revenue officers through various IRS training programs and procedures. He leads Eide Bailly's IRS Controversy and Procedures practice.
Mike Mondelli, JD, Senior Manager
Mike has over nine years of tax and legal experience, specializing in federal tax. He provides advice on IRS practice and procedures including examination, appeals, collection, penalty abatement, audit reconsideration, research, and various other federal tax matters. Mike has also worked for the IRS, conducting audits for the Examination division and resolving United States Tax Court cases for the Office of Chief Counsel. Mike works in the firm's Minneapolis office.
CPE Credits: 1
Field of Study: Taxes
Level of Knowledge: Basic
Delivery Method: Web-Based Group Session
These are web-group seminars. No prerequisites or advanced preparation required. For information regarding refund, complaint and program cancellation policies, please contact Jason McKeever at 701.476.8773.