2018 Tax Update Course Description
The update will cover a busy year in Federal and state taxation. We’ll discuss the federal Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, including the lucrative but troublesome new break for "Qualified Business Income" that affects all taxpayers reporting business income on 1040s or trust returns, the new limitations on deductibility of business interest, the new limitations on deductions of business losses, opportunities and surprises in the expanded "bonus depreciation" and Section 179 provisions, new planning opportunities for businesses with receipts under $25 million, including cash-basis accounting and simpler inventory accounting, the forced repatriation of offshore corporate business income, and the new world of individual tax planning. We will also cover the guidance issued so far by IRS and the Treasury Department on implementing these complex rules.
Additional topics include:
• The major changes in Iowa taxation enacted this spring, including the repeal of federal tax deductibility and complicated phase-in rules.
• The new rules on partnerships that are expected to greatly increase the IRS examination rate for partnerships and LLCs
• Developments at the Treasury, including changes in regulatory philosophy under the Trump administration.
• Federal and state court developments in the past year
• The Supreme Court's Wayfair decision, why it's important to all businesses with out-of-state customers -- not just to internet businesses.
• Developments out of the Tax Court and other venues
• And more!
• Review the latest pending and enacted tax law changes
• Identify strategies and techniques to use in light of tax changes
• Discuss current cases and rulings affecting individuals and businesses
Presenter: Joe Kristan, CPA, Partner of Eide Bailly LLP
Joe is a problem solver and helps clients succeed by finding a tax-friendly path to their goals. He works primarily with closely held businesses and serves the agriculture, distribution and manufacturing industries. Clients value Joe's knowledge. He's been a tax practitioner since 1984 so he knows numbers and how to reach the best solution for clients. Joe's extensive writing and teaching experience make him an effective communicator and advisor.
Registration: 7:30 - 8 AM
Seminar: 8 AM - 4 PM
Social hour to follow: 4 - 5:30 PM
CPE Credits: 8
Field of Study: Taxes
Level of Knowledge: Basic
Delivery Method: In-Person Group Session
These are live-group seminars. No prerequisites or advanced preparation required. For information regarding refund, complaint and program cancellation policies, please contact Jason McKeever at 701.476.8773.